This is a cooking blog. I am a (sound) composer/experimental music maker. I think there are strong links between these activities. In the spirit of my music work, this blog is an experimental cooking blog. Basically, recipes will be posted as I think of/invent them, and will progress from a version 0.1 until a final release, if I repeat them. Thus they are constantly open to revision. I hope this marks a point of difference, more akin to software development than published cooking.
Monday, 27 July 2015
Spicy Tofu & Buckwheat (v0.1)
This one is inspired by Disco Beans, possibly the best Japanese cafe I've been to. Seriously, instead of reading my blog you should be going to Disco Beans. It's great. Nonetheless, they have recently added this delicious tofu and buckwheat thing, and I wanted to have a crack at making something similar. I have a feeling that the buckwheat they use is toasted, and I used green. But that's okay.
2 tsp vegan shrimp paste (yes, such a thing exists)
1. Prepare marinade by putting it all in a blender and puree-ing-ish.
2. Toss chopped tofu through marinade and let sit for a couple of hours.
3. Boil water in a large pot, once boiling add buckwheat, wait until it boils again then reduce to a low heat and cook for about 10-15 minutes. Cover with a heavy lid and remove from heat for a further 10-15 minutes.
4. Fold a tbsp of margarine through the buckwheat.
5. Heat oil in a pan, add tofu and most of the marinade and fry until fragrant.
6. Transfer buckwheat to a serving dish, fold the tofu and leftover marinade through the buckwheat.
7. Chop three spring onions over the buckwheat and tofu, then serve.