Sunday, 26 June 2016
Creamy Beetroot & Friends "Pesto" Pasta v 0.2
Two in one day? Apparently this is what happens when you let yourself have a day or two in recuperation after a gruelling week and another to come. Unfortunately, I ate my dinner before I could take a photo of it. Make it, share your photo.
- 3-4 whole beetroot
- 1 whole red capsicum
- 1/2-3/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 large/2 medium cloves of garlic
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 tbsp white tahini paste
- olive oil
- salt (about 2 tsp)
- white pepper (as much as you want)
- nutritional yeast flakes
1. core and roughly slice lengthways the capsicum. Put in baking try, cover in olive oil. Roast at ~200C for about 40 mins or until soft and roast-y.
2. peel and roughly chop beetroot, add to enough water to thoroughly cover, boil until tender.
3. when those ingredients are cooked, drain the beetroot and put in food processor/blender with garlic.
4. add to the food processor the cooked capsicum including any leftover olive oil.
5. add the pine nuts, salt, pepper, yeast flakes, and kale and process/blend until pesto-like in consistency.
6. transfer back to pot and start warming on a low heat, meanwhile begin pasta water boiling and put pasta on to cook. Stir the sauce as necessary.
7. in a small bowl, whisk together tahini, lemon juice, and additional water until a "cream"-like consistency is reached
8. add the "cream" to the sauce and mix, then turn heat off and wait until pasta is cooked.
9. when pasta is cooked (or just before), strain. Put empty put back on low heat and add olive oil. Add pasta to warm oil and stir to make it absorb.
10. Add two serving spoons worth of sauce and stir through the pasta, slightly cooking.
11. Take off heat and serve pasta then top with another serve of sauce and some extra nutritional yeast flakes.